Tips for Field Experience Sites
Adapted from fall 2011 student feedback about the fieldwork experience.
What makes for a great fieldwork experience?
- Supervisor sees you as more than a just a worker. You are treated more like a future colleague and your human qualities are recognized.
o Supervisor understands where you are in your professional development
o Supervisor has flexibility and recognizes you have other obligations outside of your work life.
- Being able to meet with professionals to discuss their backgrounds, theories that they use, etc.
- Lots of interaction with supervisor and students
- Projects and work has applicability outside of fieldwork experience
- You get the opportunity to learn about an area in student affairs you previously knew nothing about or misunderstood
- Opportunities to experience things related to the department/program to see the “big picture”:
o Behind the scenes activities
o Travel beyond Rutgers University
o Invitations to participate in meetings
- Experience collaboration between offices
- Opportunity to create your own project
What are the challenges in the fieldwork experience?
- Having little time or communication with supervisor
- Role/task ambiguity
- Lack of communication about expectations
o lack of feedback, support, supervision
o no focused project
- Different values and/or approach to student affairs
- Supervisor not open to new ideas
- Supervisor not open to change
- You are never introduced to the office
- Intense time commitment
What should supervisors consider appropriate expectations for fieldwork students?
- Students should be willing to take on new tasks and develop new skills – go out of their comfort zones
- Students should be ready to share a different perspective or fresh outlook
- Student will commit to time, have energy
- Students should give attention to detail
o Ask questions when you have them
o Take initiative
- Be on time
- Ask for accommodations with appropriate notification
- Follow through –do what you commit to doing
- Be honest, ethical, know yourself
Last updated: 7/19/12